- Web Design / Development
- Web site templates, web application development
- Web standards, Section 508 accessibility & usability
- Expert in cross-browser compatibility
User Experience Designer
2013-Present Harrisonburg, VA
- User experience design of university campus events management web application. Responsible for creating experience maps, personas and workflows from project manager user stories.
- Meet with user groups on a regular basis to find out pain points and requirements for how users currently implement their campus events. Present new ideas and gather feedback from recently developed sections of the application.
- Design new functionality that fits within agile sprint periods and collaborate with the project manager on writing specifications for the development team.
- Create working UI front-end templates for newly-designed functionality that are then implemented by the developers.
- Present new product releases and overviews of new technology being used at the national annual customer conference.
Web Designer / Developer
1999-2013 Durham, NC
- Clients include:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Department of Defense (DoD)
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
- Collaborated with multiple teams to implement a new NIEHS public site responsive design across the entire site ecosystem, including all web applications. Worked with multiple application developers to integrate the new styles within their existing applications to ensure a smooth, consistent user experience.
- Designed and developed a soon-to-be-released responsive layout for the Head-Off Environmental Asthma in Louisiana (HEAL) web site. Used the latest tools and techniques to develop a responsive system with breakpoints that works smoothly across all devices.
- Complete redesign of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences "Junction" intranet. Responsible for initial designs, revisions, conversion of design to functional templates, and assisted with implementing those templates into a Content Management System.
- Designed and developed the NIEHS public Speakers Bureau request system. Created wireframes and mock-ups for the new site module and met with clients to demonstrate the functional requirements. Multiple mock-ups were used to illustrate the user flow experience through the new system. A prototype was then built on a development server before final implementation on the public site.
- HTML template development utilizing Rhythmyx Percussion Content Management System.
- Design consultant for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Management System web site.
- Served as a designer and design consultant on the INFO Project, a Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Health program aimed at sharing resources on family planning and reproductive health to those in impoverished nations. Responsible for major design revisions for the parent site as well as multiple child sites.
- Served as a designer for the National Cancer Institute, redesigning the web version of their Annual Plan and Budget Proposal (plan.cancer.gov). Also worked with several of their sub-organizations, such as the International Cancer Research Partners and the Office of Science Planning and Assessment.
- Partnered with the Department of Defense on their Congressionally Directed Medical Research doing web and print design and development support on an as-needed basis.
- Completed the redesign of the CDC’s Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. Reworked the content flow and navigation to provide a much more positive, streamlined user experience.
Lead Designer / Developer
- Set up initial and followup meetings with clients to discuss design, functionality and aim of the website.
Rockingham Mutual Insurance
Senior Web Designer
- Lead Web Designer reporting to Management of Information Systems and President of company.
- Responsible for startup, design, and implementation of corporate website.
- Assisted in relocation of company web site from outside Internet service provider to internal web servers.
- Managed 12 part-time employees responsible for input of customer accounts from hard copies into SQL database. Assisted in training of temporary employees and ensured work quotas once input began.
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA - 1999
Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design